Rachel Stevens

17gust

NMSU Sculpture Professor Rachel Stevens’ current  solo ’ Exhibition, “Whether,” is on Display at the Nicolaysen Art Museum and Discovery Center through September 21, 2014

400 East Collins Drive
Casper, WY  82601

June 6, 2014 – September 21, 2014

“WHETHER is influenced by the my hikes through the Chihuahuan Desert in Southern New Mexico. I have an affinity for open landscapes but it took years for me to feel fond of this scrappy expanse of scrub and brush. One hundred and fifty years ago this desert was a rolling grassy plain that sustained pronghorn antelope, deer, and mountain lions. During the late 1800s imported herds of cattle grazed off the grass, topsoil blew away, and the impoverished terrain could only sustain the most tenacious plants and animals. This landscape cannot be restored and what I walk through today is a faint pleading echo of a lost sea of grass. To love the Chihuahuan Desert is to love a prickly curmudgeon. It reveals its beauty slyly as I slip down a scree slope or when my dog hops on three legs, her paw a pincushion of cholla spines. Despite all the losses, it is my personal Promised Land.”

Our Hours:
Tuesday – Saturday
10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday
Noon-4 p.m.
The museum is CLOSED on Monday

This entry was posted in Exhibit, Faculty. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.